Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Love and Serving

Last night I read a message on facebook that had been posted via twitter by Mark Horvath and was blown away. Mark had tried to help a homeless lesbian couple get help and the church would not help them because of their lifestyle. Another time he was at church and a homeless man walked the aisle to the alter and security was ready to jump. WOW! What does this say?

Romans 15:7 So accept each other just as Christ has accepted you:then God will be glorified. (nlv)

That is a powerful statement. Christ loves me, even when I am not doing things that are pleasing to Him. He loves me unconditionally. I don't feel that I am worthy of such a love but God gave me His love. The love that can never be matched. Is it so hard to do the same to our fellow humans?

Mark 10:45 For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many. (nlv)

Jesus came to earth to spread the News and while doing so He went out to every nation and served. He even served those that no one else wanted to be near. He healed the sick. He laid His hand on them and gave of Himself to those whom no one else would even look at. Can't we at least make the same effort?

Matthew 25:35-36 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison and you visited me. (nlv)

Matthew 25:40 And the King will tell them, I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me! (nlv)

I have never seen Jesus, I do not know what He looks like. I believe He can take on any image He wishes. What if that homeles, homosexual man sleeping in the cold, who has not eaten in days was Jesus? I challenge that he very well could be one of God's children just like me who needs someone to reach out and give him hope and show him love. Is that not our duty as children of God to serve as Jesus did?

I believe that we should be getting up out of our pews and getting dirty. We should be stepping out of our comfort zones and stepping out to where people need to be reached. Where there is no hope, no love.

I wonder when we get to heaven and stand in front of our Father, how many will have to give an answer for not getting up, stepping out in faith and doing something for one of His children.



No comments:

Post a Comment